At the 34th session of the UN Committee on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families, a List of Issues will be formed to be addressed to the Kyrgyzstan authorities. ADC Memorial drew the Committee’s attention to the need for additional efforts of the Kyrgyzstan authorities on the protection of migrants working abroad (mainly in Russia, which has not ratified the Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families). Among the issues raised by ADC Memorial, there are the protection of the rights of women and girls in migration, the need to reform legislation on the repatriation of children, guarantees of free work of human rights organizations.
The Committee’s experts asked for additional information about cases of racism and xenophobia against Kyrgyzstan citizens abroad and about the activities of consular offices, as well as about migrants’ access to the election process and opportunities for money transfers from abroad.
When preparing the List of Issues, ADC Memorial is based on human rights reports created in cooperation with partners from Central Asia: the Human Rights Movement Bir Duino Kyrgyzstan, the Kyrgyz Family Planning Alliance, the International Legal Initiative (Kazakhstan).
- “Women and children from Kyrgyzstan affected by migration”, a report by ADC Memorial and Bir Duino Kyrgyzstan, 2016
- “Migrant workers in Kazakhstan: no status, no rights“, a report by FIDH, ADC Memorial, ILI, 2016.
- Invisible and exploited in Kazakhstan: the plight of Kyrgyz migrant workers and members of their families, a report by FIDH, ADC Memorial, ILI, 2018
- Alternative information by the Kyrgyz Family Planning Alliance and ADC Memorial for the UN CEDAW, the 76th Pre-session Working Group of the CEDAW, 2019.
- Migrant Children in CIS Countries: Lack of Adequate Legal Norms Regulating Cooperation Between the Countries Involved, a report by ADC Memorial, 2018.